1.0 FTE High School Special Education Assistant
HIGH SCHOOL SPECIAL EDUCATION ASSISTANT
2022-2023 Academic Year
The Special Education Assistant provides assistance to Special Education students in the classroom. He/she reports to the Head of School or teacher designated by the Head of School/Superintendent.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists special education student(s) with academics in regular education classroom(s) both indoors and outdoors.
- Assists students in categorical classrooms.
- Assists special education students in physical education, music, art, at lunch, and recess as needed.
- Takes part in planning meetings and IEPC’s as requested.
- Assists with small group non-direct instruction.
- Assists with large group non-direct instruction.
- Assists with physical challenges (wheelchairs, scribe, daily life skills, communication devices)
- Monitors behavior of students on behavior plans and others as needed under the direction of the special education teacher.
- Serves as a witness for medication administration if requested.
- Attends trainings or in-services.
- Accompanies special education students on field trips.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Minimum education requirement is 60 credit hours or an Associates degree.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to deal effectively and courteously with students and school personnel.
- Previous experience working with children.
- Ability to care for, supervise, and nurture children.
- Ability to follow student in outdoor learning environments (approximately 2-3 hours per day).
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to assist with maintaining records of student progress.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to resolve conflict.
- Dependable, reliable, and protective of sensitive/confidential information.
- Willingness to attend training.
- Ability to remain calm under stressful situations.
Location: The Greenspire School - High School
Salary Range: $15.66 per hour; benefits eligible
Hours: 8:30 am - 4:00 pm; follows student academic calendar (180 days), plus two additional days in August
Shift Type: Full time; position is contingent on continued student enrollment at Greenspire
Anticipated Start Date: August 31, 2022
Please apply online by Friday, August 19th at 4:00 pm.